Occasional Visitor
uwdsmj
Accepted Solution

Getting Macs (OSX Lion 10.7.1) to use network home directory (SMB)

I could use a hand getting Macs (OSX 10.7.1) to map and use a user's network home directory.

Express is installed on the mac and AD users can log in, however home directories are being created and used locally (/Users/<username>), instead of the desired behavior, which is to mount and use users' network home directories.    

In /etc/centrifydc/centrifydc.conf has:

auto.schema.remote.file.servoce: SMB

auto.schema.use.adhomedir: true

(followed by adflush/adreload, and has been rebooted since this setting was configured)

In AD, users' Profile, home folder is set to connect, using path "\\<fileserver>\<username>" -- where <fileserver> is actually a Linux server sharing out users' home directories via SMB -- home directories work as expected when users log into a Windows machine on the domain.

What am I missing to get Macs to automount and use the users' network home directories on user login?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
LMcAndrew

Re: Getting Macs (OSX Lion 10.7.1) to use network home directory (SMB)

We are collecting some log files and will research this. 

I will post an update here when we know the answer.

Lance from Centrify. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
gazzer82

Im struggling with this too, seems to be that if i set a path on the AD user profile it get's ignored. However if i set the a path and drive letter the logon never completes, just sits there with the spinning wheel.

The user i am trying did log into this computer before i had edited the config file to use the network home directory. Do i need to some way clear/flush the user so they are created again from scratch with the correct redirected user folders?

I am also one of the suckers trying to get a 10.7 mac to join a .local domain. It frustrates the hell out of me that between them MS and Apple/Samaba could not come up with a different default/suggested suffix for the domain.

I am currently downloading the developer preview of 10.7.2 as this seems to have a lot of AD fixes in it so that may help, will let you know if it does!

Thanks

Gareth

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
gazzer82

Actually scratch that, it does work, but take a massivley long time to login, over 10 minutes!

Is there a way to troubleshoot what is happening during the logon process that is causing it to hang for so long?

Thanks

Gareth

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
LMcAndrew

[ Edited ]

Aha! .local.

You need to read this : 

----------------------

Note on Nov 11: I've updated this post to point you to the article and published document. 

http://community.centrify.com/t5/The-Centrify-Apple-Guy/10-7-and-local-domain-issues/ba-p/2887

Please use plain text.