× Welcome to the Centrify Community! We are rolling out product name changes — click here to learn more.

Centrify and pam_mount enter password twice

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Participant II
#1 of 5 12,838
Accepted Solution

Centrify and pam_mount enter password twice

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to use pam_mount to mount some share drives on login.  This works but results in having to enter the password twice during login. It asks once for the password than again for the pam password. Is there a solution to this?

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. I tried moving the pam_mount line in common-auth to the top but this did not solve the issue.

Retired Employee (Inactive)
#2 of 5 12,807

Re: Centrify and pam_mount enter password twice

Hi David

We haven't forgotten about you; we were setting up the sytem to reproduce the behavior to find a solution for you. We believe the below suggestion should help you based on our investigation:

1) Open /etc/pam.d/common-auth file
2) Check if " auth optional pam_mount.so" is the first line and "auth sufficient pam_centrifydc.so" second line. If "yes" then change the second line to:

auth       sufficient     pam_centrifydc.so try_first_pass

3) Test the login, you should now get prompted only once.

If the above suggestion did not help, post the contents of your /etc/pam.d/common-auth file into the post.

Thanks

Sumana

@annamsr
Participant II
#3 of 5 12,748

Ok that solved it.

I see Centrify is now in the Ubuntu partner repo. Ideally centrify should be aware of pam_mount being installed and configure itself properly right?

Retired Employee (Inactive)
#4 of 5 12,708

Absolutely David. We shall look into ways to eliminate this extra step as manual edition of pam configuration files is typically cumbersome.

Thanks for your feedback so far on our express product.

@annamsr
Participant II
#5 of 5 12,654

Hi,

I followed the solution and indeed, i've to enter my password one time only. Nevertheless, the only one password i enter is for "pam_mount" and not for my user session. Each time i use a sudo, the command requires a pam_mount password and not an user password. It works but ...

Is it a way to force the computer to display "enter user password" and not "enter pam_mount password" ?

Thanks in advance.

Julien