Mac - Setting Home Folder in Finder Side Bar automatically.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Participant I
#1 of 3 5,727

Mac - Setting Home Folder in Finder Side Bar automatically.

Anyone know of a way to configure the Finder Sidebar and customise what shows up. Looking to show the students home areas in the sidebar and want to remove the option to save to any other areas. I can do this on a user by user basis but anyway to do it for everyone logging in automatically?

Kudos: 171
Blog Posts: 24
Solutions: 25
#2 of 3 5,717

Re: Mac - Setting Home Folder in Finder Side Bar automatically.

[ Edited ]

Hi Sam,

Depending on what you're looking to enable or disable in the Finder sidebar, you should be able to do this by using Centrify Group Policies to either set selected Finder Preferences, run a login script at the user logon (to reach those options not accessible via the standard GPs), or by overwriting the Finder plist file completely.

To see some examples of how this can be done, you can check out the KBs we have on customising some of the settings in the Finder Preferences:

It may take some further research on your end to see exactly what commands need to be run to get the exact preferences you want. The above KBs simply show automated steps to flip the desired switches in the Finder preferences everytime the user logs in. 

As far as I am aware - there is no way to lockout the Finder Preferences completely, other than enabling Simple Finder mode (There is a Centrify GP to enable this as well).

Kind regards,

Brian

Centrify Guru I
#3 of 3 5,716

Re: Mac - Setting Home Folder in Finder Side Bar automatically.

Mac GPO - Finder cust guidance..jpg

Want to learn more about practical Centrify examples? Check out my blog at http://centrifying.blogspot.com
Follow Centrify: