Where can I find documentation/guidance on replacing a NIS proxy that is working with Centrify?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Participant II
#1 of 3 555
Accepted Solution

Where can I find documentation/guidance on replacing a NIS proxy that is working with Centrify?

Greetings All,

My work environment has CentrifyDC running to allow our  virtual Linux and physical HP-UX servers to authenticate using the Windows domain controllers. This system was originally set up some years before I joined this group and now we are replacing all Red Hat 5 servers with Red Hat 6. The problem is, there are also NIS proxies on the LANs. I am uncertain if they are even needed, but everyone who worked on the deployment of the original system have long since left and there is no documentation left on why things are the way they are. I need to replace the Red Hat 5 VMs that are serving as NIS proxies without bringing down services any longer than necessary, so I need to learn:

1. How to build a NIS proxy for use with Centrify
  2. How to transfer service from the old NIS proxy to the new Red Hat 6 one
  3. Verify that everything is working as intended.

We do have an active service contract with Centrify, but I thought it might actually be quicker to post here first.

Thanks for any and all help

Centrify Guru I
#2 of 3 550

Re: Where can I find documentation/guidance on replacing a NIS proxy that is working with Centrify?

@pjdunn002,

Welcome to the Centrify forums!

The documentation about the NIS Proxy is here:

https://docs.centrify.com/en/css/suite2017.1/centrify-nis-guide.pdf

Also all the docs are online at https://docs.centrify.com

As far as your deployment goes, you can contact your Centrify lead (or customer success lead), if the implementation was performed in tandem with our Professional Services team, there will be a playbook left behind documenting what was done.  Perhaps this can be provided to you from our archives.

A big benefit you get is that the configuration exists in Active Directory; what you need to consider is any customizations that may have been made to allow for secure traffic (for example: if IPSec encryption is used as a compensating control for unencrypted NIS traffic <= this is generally an advanced configuration).

Another tip is to contact application owners.  Typically NIS maps/services exist to support an underlying application or infrastructure that was targeted for migration (although we see cases of organizations keeping NIS around forever once the compensating controls are in place).

R.P

Want to learn more about practical Centrify examples? Check out my blog at http://centrifying.blogspot.com
Follow Centrify:
Participant II
#3 of 3 544

Re: Where can I find documentation/guidance on replacing a NIS proxy that is working with Centrify?

Thanks so much for th equick response. I will review the documentation you directed me to an get to it. Thanks again.