× Welcome to the Centrify Community! We are rolling out product name changes — click here to learn more.

How do I change the password prompt text that is displayed when the user logs in using SSH?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Participant II
#1 of 4 255
Accepted Solution

How do I change the password prompt text that is displayed when the user logs in using SSH?

For example the current password prompt is "userid@servername's password:" and I want to change it to "Active Directory password:".

Current value of "pam.password.enter.mesg":

[root@servername]# grep "pam.password.enter.mesg" /etc/centrifydc/*
centrifydc.conf:# pam.password.enter.mesg: "Password: "
centrifydc.conf.bak:# pam.password.enter.mesg: "Password: "
defaults.conf:# pam.password.enter.mesg: "Password: "
[root@servername]#

I tried changing the following parameter and then restarted Centrify -- it displayed the same password prompt:

pam.password.enter.mesg: "Active Directory Password: "

Not sure which "Board" to post this question on.

[root@servername]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.4 (Maipo)

[root@servername]# adinfo -v
adinfo (CentrifyDC 5.4.2-668)

Centrify Advisor II
#2 of 4 251

Re: How do I change the password prompt text that is displayed when the user logs in using SSH?

Hello jh75899,

Thank you for posting to our forum!

The "pam.password.enter.mesg" parameter in the /etc/centrifydc/centrifydc.conf configuration file is the correct parameter to change the SSh login prompt.

Please ensure that it is not commented out with a # in the beginning of the line (it looks like this is not the case ).

Please run "adreload " as root or sudo after making the change to the prompt parameter.

Please ensure that the account you are attempting to log in as is a provisioned AD account and not a local account.

Please ensure that the system is joined and connected to a zone. "adinfo"

If all these check out please let us know so we can continue assisting.

Thank you,

JeffW

Centrify Sr. Support Engineer

Participant II
#3 of 4 245

Re: How do I change the password prompt text that is displayed when the user logs in using SSH?

JeffW,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I modified "/etc/centrifydc/centrifydc.conf" to look like (with the parameter starting in column 1):

pam.password.enter.mesg: "Active Directory Password: "

Then I ran "adreload" as root.

When I try to SSH login I get the following:

login as: jhall
     jhall@d3portal6's password:

--John Hall

Centrify Guru I
#4 of 4 243

@jh75899,

Make sure your OpenSSH server has the ChallengeResponseAuthentication directive set to yes and that the service is recycled after you make the change.

R.P

Want to learn more about practical Centrify examples? Check out my blog at http://centrifying.blogspot.com
Follow Centrify: